Gluten Free Expats in Japan

For those of you who are moving to Japan or just planning to take an extended trip, whether for business or for pleasure, you might have many questions about what you can and cannot eat, where you can locate gluten free food and potential safe restaurants, and how to make you life and travels safe and fun while living or staying in Japan.   For over a year, there has been a Gluten Free JET group on Facebook which has significant activity and lots of information, but one of the administrators did not want to open this up to non-JETs since his goal was to start a SIG in order to lobby for Celiac/Gluten Intolerant needs to be taken seriously in the JET/AJET community.   Well, it is now officially considered a Special Interest Group by AJET and thus a separate group for non-JETs (including those who are ALTs but not working via JET) has been born.   Although I co-founded the Gluten Free JET Facebook group and have regularly contributed there, even after leaving the JET Program, I recognize that there are many people who live in and travel through Japan who are not on the JET Program and who need to have access to the same info that is available in this forum.

If you have been wanting to sign up for this group, I welcome you to join Gluten Free Expats Japan.

Please message me prior to joining as I will need to make certain those in the forum are not spambots.  If I see no indication that you live in Japan, this is even more important.

Thank you and see you soon!

Advertisements

13 Comments (+add yours?)

1. cindy pray
    Jul 31, 2015 @ 03:17:05

hello. i would like to join the facebook page as i am in okinawa cisiting friends and will be in tokyo visiting family august 25 – 30! thank you!!

2. James
    Nov 09, 2015 @ 10:26:08

Hello there,
    My partner and I are coming to Japan for 10 days from the 16th – 26th of Nov.
    I am gluten and grain intolerant and she’s vegetarian.
    We are travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto, then to Osaka, then back to Tokyo.
    Could you provide any pointers of places and/or what to look out for that palitable for both of us.
    Cheers heaps

3. Bridget Phillips
    Jan 12, 2016 @ 08:45:59

Hi there,

I have travelled to Japan many times (this February will be my 6th or 7th trip), and as a coeliac would love access to this group please 🙂

4. Anat feldman
    Feb 10, 2016 @ 19:47:45

Hi, thank you for all the great information. I would like to join the group. We are going to come as expats to Tokyo and my daughter has celiac. This wiil be a great help to me I’m sure.
    Thanks

5. Gisselle González
    Mar 15, 2016 @ 13:14:56

Hi, I’m travelling to Japan next August for about 3 weeks and since I’m intolerant to wheat and I’m following a gluten free diet, I was wondering if you would accept my invitation to join your Facebook group, for which I have already sent a request. Tks Gisselle González

6. Madori Gray
    May 05, 2016 @ 05:56:08

Hello! Please add me to your facebook site. Thank you!

7. Tanya Brady
    Aug 08, 2016 @ 10:28:07

Hi
    Our family is travelling to Japan in December 2016 through January 2017. We will be visiting Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagano. It would be extremely helpful if we could join your Facebook group. Our 2 little boys 7 & 10 yrs both have Coeliac Disease and any help finding GF food would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

8. Chris
    Nov 16, 2016 @ 23:38:07

Hi there AutumnAki! I have just sent a request to join the group as my wife & I are going to be in Tokyo and Kyoto soon and would be very appreciative of some gluten-free recommendations. Thanks 🙂

9. Maria Marin
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 15:13:00

Hi, I’m travelling to Japan next August for about 3 weeks. I am celiac and I was wondering if you would accept my invitation to join your Facebook group? I would like to have as many GF resources to learn from as possible before I go to Japan =) I already sent a request.
    Best!
    Maria Valentina

10. Jennifer
    Mar 03, 2017 @ 21:45:29

Hi, we are two celiacs travelling to Japan looking for great food recommendations!